This instructions goes through step by step how to create a virtual reality of your 3D point cloud. The amount of points is limited and we are still not sure about the limit. We have tried 10-20 million points and that works fine.
- Make sure your las-file is in LAS 1.4 format. You can use the free las2las tool to convert otherwise. Use the following command:
las2las -set_version 1.4 -i inputfile.las -o outputfile.las
- Copy your file to this folder:
- Open Unity…
- Open the project “abcd”.
- Click “Windows” –> “Point cloud tools” –> “Convert file to bin..??”
- Instructions how to fill in and press convert… Where to store the file. Name the file “pointcloud.bin”.
- There is a pre-built project in this folder:
- Copy the above pre-built project to a new folder. Replace the file “pointcloud.bin” with your file.
- You can now run the file “pointcloudgeneral.exe”. The HTC Vive starts automatically when you load the file (How to start up the HTC Vive system in the lab –LINK TO A DESCRIPTION–).